Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Garden fresh tomato salad


If you’re a tomato lover, like most Canadians, then this is probably one of your favourite times of the year. There is really nothing better than popping a delicious cherry tomato, fresh from the vine, into your mouth. My garden’s full of them and they’re just starting to ripen.

The first time I popped up to the garden and located a ripe and ready to eat tomato, I was thrilled. I’ve been making daily appearances ever since, making sure that I don’t miss the exact moment that they’re ready to eat. It’s an exciting time for a tomato lover. I’ve got 9 varieties of tomatoes in my garden, along with cucumbers, basil, beets, carrots, radishes, squash (summer and pattypan), fresh greens, spinach, Swiss chard, peppers, snow peas and eggplant. I never tire of walking the aisles, inspecting their progress. Last week, I had just barely enough of everything I needed to make my first garden fresh salad. It’s hands-down my favourite and I’d like to share it with you.

Tomato, Cucumber & Basil Salad (Serves 2)

In a salad bowl, mix ingredients for salad dressing. Add salad fixings and mix.

Salad Dressing

1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp whole grain mustard
fresh ground pepper, to taste
pinch of sea salt, to taste




Salad Fixings

4-5 basil leaves, chopped
1-2 small cucumbers, depending on their size
1½ cups of fresh picked cherry tomatoes, cut in ½ depending on size
¼ feta cheese
½ cup Nature’s Path Heritage Heirloom Whole Grain cereal*




*Now I don’t usually do any sort of product promotion, but this cereal is perfect for this recipe and it’s extremely healthy to boot. It’s very high in fibre and uses grains like kamut, wheat, oats, spelt, barley, millet and quinoa. Sounds like a weird salad addition, but trust me on this one, it tastes delicious!

* This recipe is also found on the Moving Mum website - helping seniors downsize to smaller living spaces.


No comments:

Post a Comment